Automotive Technology - Street Rod and Custom Fabrication
Street Rod and Custom Fabrication Overview
Street Rod and Custom Fabrication
In our street rod and custom fabrication course, you will study the techniques used to customize vehicles and create works of art. You will become familiar with basic specialized sheet metal fabrication techniques as applied to customizing vehicles.
These techniques will include the use of basic hand tools and specialized equipment like the english wheel, power hammer, planishing hammer, bead roller and louver press. Our custom paint training will cover the application of specialized finishes like pearls and candies. Techniques will be taught for special effects including the layout and design of graphics.
Street Rod and Custom Fabrication offers a solid foundation in:
- Custom and specialized sheet metal shaping and fabrication
- Application of lead (body solder)
- M.I.G., T.I.G. and Oxy-Acetylene welding
- Chop tops including carson style tops
- Hidden pin hinges (Suicide Doors)
- Body Construction including Firewalls, Floorboards and Transmission tunnels
- Custom paint techniques including special effects, airbrushing and pin striping
Career opportunities for students who complete this course may include:
- Custom Painter
- Specialty Shop Technician
Other Specialties in the Automotive Technology Core*
- Auto-Diesel Vehicle Technology
- Advanced Automotive Diagnostics
- Light-duty Diesel
- High Performance Powertrain
- Motorsports Chassis Fabrication
- Applied Service Management
- Trim and Upholstery Technology
- Off-Road Power Concentration
Campuses that offer the Automotive Technology Core
For information on graduation rates, the median debt of students who complete this program and more, choose a campus below to download:
For information on the potential sale of this campus, click here.
* Not all courses and specialties offered at all locations.
Trim and Upholstery TechnologyTrim and Upholstery Technology is a specialty of the Diesel Technology Core CourseTrim and Upholstery Technology Course material covers trim and upholstery terminology, trim panels, headliners, headrests and armrests, shop organization and customer relations. Students also study upholstery tools of the trade, supplies, operation, safet...
Custom Car Fabrication: Tools of the TradeJul 29th 2014If your dream is to become a car-customizing specialist, you will have to master a number of specialty tools that allow you to create body panels and other metal components to individual specifications. Below are some of the key tools and machines found in most custom car workshops:
WyoTech’s Blairsville Students Rebuild Truck Engine for Cable TV SeriesMay 20th 2014Four students at WyoTech in Blairsville have been chosen to rebuild a Ford truck engine for MavTV's "Chop Cut Rebuild" reality TV series.
Jason PurdueWyoTech Graduate"The training I received was top-of-the-line. School was fun and didn't seem like school at all. And now that I've graduated, I have a great paying full-time job thanks to WyoTech."