Phone: 800.521.7158

February 2023 Alumni Spotlight

February 13, 2023

Erik Lambson has truly forged his path in the industry.  Currently in Chandler, Arizona, he attended the WyoTech in the early 2000s taking Automotive Technology and Applied Service Management.  Afterward, he worked for 9 years at a Toyota dealership, then ran his own business for about 8 years.  Erik has always had a passion for teaching and sharing his experience, however, and recently transitioned from running his business to being a high school automotive instructor.  “I feel like the ability to share my knowledge for others’ benefit is just me doing my due diligence.  I’ve been blessed with the experiences I’ve had and the things I’ve been able to accomplish, and now I get to share that with the next generation.”  He says that, for him, the hardest part of the transition from the field to education was becoming a person that the students are looking up to- learning to be that person to influence someone’s life.  “That part was kind of a surprise to me; they look up to me as more of a father figure than I was expecting.”  When asked what he is most proud of in his career, he talks about building his career to be at the top of his situation.  “It’s definitely something to be proud of when you know that, by putting the work and effort in, you can become the one that people turn to for advice and answers.  When you work your way up to be the one with the final say…. It gives you this feeling of, “You made it, and you CAN do this.”  He also talks about how he is currently using his education and experience to restore personal project cars.  He says that he has restored and modified a 1973 Winnebago Brave and traveled the country in it with his family, and he is currently working on a 1968 Jeep Wagoneer.

Erik recognizes the hesitancy that some may feel when looking into trade schools and WyoTech.  “One of the most common concerns with any technical school is the cost.”  He notes that, while it can be intimidating, it is well worth the investment.  “That amount of repetition day in and day out at a school that is invested in your knowledge and your future is almost impossible to put a price on.  It’s worth it.”   

-->