Diesel Technology - Motorsports Chassis Fabrication
Motorsports Chassis Fabrication Overview
Motorsports Chassis Fabrication
The Motorsports Chassis Fabrication specialty course introduces students to metal working techniques that apply to specialty automotive chassis fabrication work.
This includes a study of metal types and configurations, measuring, pattern and outline development, mechanical drawing reading and development, attachment methods, metal finishing, cutting, MIG and TIG welding; frame design and modifications including boxing, tubular cross-members, c-notching, pro-street frame setup, roll cage construction, and complete tube chassis fabrication.
Course training includes:
- Lay out cut marks on material in preparation for cutting, drilling or machining
- Develop and use common specialty automotive patterns
- Read and draw basic specialty automotive related mechanical drawings
- Perform various cutting procedures, including use of oxy-acetylene and plasma
- Operate various grinders and sanders
- Demonstrate MIG and TIG welding processes, procedures, equipment, minor maintenance and safety
- Recognize the frame designs used in the specialty automotive industry
- Demonstrate the care and usage of common precision measuring instruments used in metal fabrication and machining
- Operate manual machine tools (engine lathe and vertical mill) for component fabrication
Career opportunities for students who specialize in chassis fabrication include:
- Metal Fabricator
- Race Team Technician
- Specialty Shop Technician
- Aftermarket Parts Research and Development
Other Specialties in the Diesel Technology Core*
- Auto-Diesel Vehicle Technology
- Advanced Diesel
- Light-duty Diesel
- Street Rod and Custom Fabrication
- High Performance Powertrain
- Applied Service Management
- Trim and Upholstery Technology
- Off-Road Power Concentration
- DATE for Mack Trucks and Volvo Trucks
Campuses that offer the Diesel Technology Core
For information on graduation rates, the median debt of students who complete this program and more, choose a campus below to download:
* Not all programs and specialties offered at all locations.
Advanced Automotive DiagnosticsAdvanced Automotive Diagnostics is a specialty of the Automotive Technology Core CourseAdvanced Automotive Diagnostics Students who choose to take our Advanced Automotive Diagnostics specialty course can receive education that will help prepare them to take the California Smog Check technician exam - a credential desired by California employer...
Bobby Dhaliwal2005 Graduate
collision-refinishing-technology"I'm a Fabricator, Body Man, Painter, everything! I can do it all! I love what I do. I wouldn't change it for anything."